Today I’m sharing some ideas related to holiday gifts for animal lovers. I do so with complete respect for every religion, knowing that everyone has their own traditions and beliefs. I have repeated some of my original recommendations because they make great holiday gifts. These ideas are in no particular order.
The One Size Fits All Gift: A Charitable Donation. I’m not sure exactly when it started, but for years my siblings and I have not sent gifts for birthdays or for holidays. We donate instead. Making a charitable donation to an animal-oriented nonprofit on behalf of someone you love is not only quick, but it really is a win-win-win. You are gifting the donation in honor of a person you care about, you are helping a nonprofit group which really needs every dollar it can get and you are helping animals in need. I do recommend that you donate to an organization which is important to the person in whose name you are donating, keeping your donations either local or limited to a national organization which functions consistent with your values. Many large animal welfare organizations use the vast majority of donations for salaries, marketing and legal fees. If you want to make sure your money will be used in ways of which you approve, do a little homework or ask your family member or friend if they have a preference.
• Peanut Butter Pit Bull (countering the negative public image of the pit bull-type dogs)
• Pick Me! Pepper (highlighting the advantages of choosing pets from animal shelters instead of breeders or pet stores)
• Foster-iffic Peppermint (highlighting the need for people to provide foster care for shelter animals as they await their forever homes)
• The Fix (highlighting the importance of spay and neuter)
• Mission Feral Fig (highlighting the humane solution for feral cats, TNR)
• Fakin' Bacon (a salute to farm animal sanctuaries and compassionate gourmands)
• Forever Mocha (highlighting ways to help people make and honor a lifetime commitment to their pets)